Same Day Service for Domesticating Subpoenas in Maryland
Serving a subpoena across state lines may require you to follow a different set of rules than you’re used to. This can be a tricky and lengthy process, and may even put the fate of your case on the line.
Two different jurisdictions means two sets of legislation, Rules of Civil Procedure, and local processes.
This makes it essential that you work with a process server experienced in domesticating subpoenas so your Maryland legal case isn’t sidelined by a mistake.
How We Domesticate Subpoenas in Maryland
More than 40 states and the District of Columbia recognize the Uniform Interstate Deposition and Discovery Act (UIDDA). This act aims to make the subpoena domestication process simpler.
If you’re serving process to one of the states that recognizes the UIDDA, the domestication process takes place in three steps:
- Issuing the subpoena: Under UIDDA, you submit your subpoena to a clerk in the state where the deposition or discovery is to take place. The clerk then issues that subpoena for service to line up with their local process and regulations.
- Serving the subpoena: The subpoena is then served upon the party based upon the Rules of Civil Procedure in the state where it’s being served.
- Deposition or Discovery: Once the subpoena has been served, you can move forward with the deposition, testimony, discovery, or records production in your case.
In states that have not yet adopted UIDDA, the domestication process is a bit different.
This requires you to get an order, commission, stipulation, or letter rogatory from the trial court. You then must make a request to the court where you’re serving the subpoena, typically by filling out an application, submitting a petition, or sending related documents to the court.
The team at Torri’s Legal Services can make this process easier by helping you understand the complex laws and domestication process in the state where you’re serving documents, allowing you to quickly and correctly complete the process without running into unnecessary delays.
Why Choose Torri’s Legal Services for Subpoena Domestication in Maryland?
For more than three decades, law firms across the country and the world have partnered with Torri’s Legal Services to make their work easier and more efficient.
- We deliver what we promise: If we say we’ll help you domesticate a subpoena properly, we make sure that happens. If we run into any difficulties, we let you know quickly so we can make a new plan.
- We use innovative solutions: We make use of every resource we have to get your job done right.
- We use the latest technology: We have a vast array of high-tech tools available to help us solve your problems and get your job done quickly.
- We work anywhere: We don’t just work within states that recognize UIDDA. We can help you domesticate subpoenas in all 50 states – and even internationally!
- We care about the environment: We can provide paper copies when you ask or if we’re required by law, but our office is largely paperless.
- We give back: We’ve participated in the B1G1 Initiative and local charity events for years, supporting a variety of worthy causes.
READ OUR BLOG POSTS ON SUBPOENA DOMESTICATION
- The Importance of Due Process and Due Diligence
- 5 Ways Hiring the Right People Can Help Your Law Firm
- How to Have Your Documents Served in Another State
- 4 Benefits of Outsourcing Your Firm’s Legal Services
- 5 Ways Torri’s Legal Services Helps Your Law Firm Run More Efficiently
Need Subpoena Domestication Help in Maryland? Call Torri!
It doesn’t matter if you’ve got just one subpoena to be domesticated or 100, the team at Torri’s Legal Services can help. We offer efficient, friendly service and guaranteed results. Call today for a quote!