Wacky State Laws
After 25 years of experience we’ve learned that all states have crazy laws. We do a lot of out-of-state service of process, which requires us to familiarize ourselves with the laws in many states. Sometimes we run into some odd ones, so we thought we’d share some of the wackiest laws we’ve seen.
Wacky State Laws
• Any misdemeanor committed while wearing a red mask is considered a felony in Arizona. And, when being attacked by a criminal or burglar, you may only protect yourself with the same weapon that the other person possesses.
• In Alabama it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle, and dominoes cannot be played on a Sunday.
• In Montana it is a misdemeanor to show movies that depict acts of felonious crime.
• Persons in possession of illegal substances must pay taxes on them in North Carolina.
• In New York a fine of $25 can be levied for flirting.
• An anticrime law in Texas requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.
• In Washington it is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town.
• It is illegal in New Jersey to wear a bullet-proof vest while committing a murder. And, if you have been convicted of driving while intoxicated, you can never again apply for personalized license plates.
• In West Virginia a person may be placed in jail for up to six months for making fun of someone who does not accept a challenge.
• It is legal for a robber to file a law suit if he or she got hurt in your house, but only if you live in Michigan.
• In Ohio no civil arrests may be made on Sunday or on the Fourth of July.
• Prisoners in Louisiana who hurt themselves could serve an additional two years in jail. Also, biting someone with your natural teeth is simple assault, while biting someone with your false teeth is aggravated assault.
We hope you enjoyed these! Send us your funny court stories and jokes and we will share them.